Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Day 4

SPRING DETOX with Jem Ah

It's pushing the midnight hour on day four. I am such a burn-the-candle-at-both-ends kind of person.. It was a busy one. It seems, there is not hunger, and there is not stomach. Instead, I have gotten more spacey as the day went on. My short term memory and ability to manage the temporal world have slid a bit.

Not eating is like not being a part of the normal human community. This is an interesting space to be in, as a faster. I do like it. I think for me this 5 day cruise is a good one. After this experience, I would be ready to aim for a 10 or 12 day fast, if it was chosen at a good time.

As it is, I have a stellar weekend planned, headed to the East coast mountains for some hiking and time by the sea with a good group of people. I want to be able to partake in meals and have enough energy to pike those peaks.

This morning, I went to boot camp (circuit training) and it's tough on a regular day. While fasting, it is similar, if not less sluggish, but by today, the fourth day, I could feel my energy reserves had run low. I did manage to do the exercise at fairly good speed 80 percent of the way through, and then it was, reerrrrrrrrrr. And I had to stop. I was a little light-headed, so I rested, and after 5 minutes felt good again, and glad for the exercise.

Fasting makes you more conscious of the energy you have, and consider your choices you make throughout the day. I had planned to go right into an appointment on the other side of the city before work, but when the time neared, I gauged that it would be better to just be lazy for a couple of hours before work, and it was just the right adjustment to balance the energy scales to propel me through the rest of my day.

Overall in my classes, I felt cheerful and light. For a few days, fasting can enhance performance. I had some creative ideas about a couple of new articles I want to write. This feeling of lightness is a good time to be receptive to catching new habits or plans.

I will definitely want to try this again. I have done it before, but this time it was very even and graceful, for the most part. I felt aware of my limits and surprised at how much of our daily energy is pretty much just prana, give or take.

So that's it. I have lots going on, but after our fast we have a day off, "Children's Day," which will be nice to cook up a little bit of broth to ease back into the eating world, so by the weekend I'm good to go on my trip.

Tomorrow's the last day! See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment