Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Today is a holiday in the district of Kerala, India where I am. It's also the last day of classes at the ashram for this teacher training course. So this morning, we had a special surprise... (tho we were given a little advance notice)

Usually the first wake up bell goes off around 5:20am. This morning a lady came in and woke up me and 6 girls sleeping in beds nearby, instructing us not to open our eyes, but get out of bed. We were led in a human chain, holding hands down the steps of the dorm, across the ashram to the temple. When it was my turn, I heard one of my yoga teachers tell me to kneel down and put my head on the pillow in front of me, so I did. When he told me to sit up, I was looking at the most amazing display of fruit and flowers, and Krishna playing his flute, arranged around a gorgeous, ornate mirror. I took a good look at the new me in this Kerala Indian new year. The holiday's name is Vishu, and it's Vishnu's birthday.

I was given a "yogi name," as were many students. It's Radha. For the purposes of this course, I have enjoyed it. Radha is the lover/beloved of Krishna, the avatar God. She is self realized, and represents the bliss aspect of Satchitananda (Absolute Truth, Absolute Knowledge, Absolute Bliss). Krishna projected her into the human world so he could enjoy bliss as humans do. She is denoted for her unshakable devotion to her man (Krisha).

Lunch today was very special, served on a banana leaf instead of a tray. I can't believe it's almost the end. I have so many more stories to tell about this experience. Tomorrow is a day off to study, then we come back to write our exam on Saturday. There is a LOT of material to think over, and a lot of sanskrit words to memorize! It's hard to put words to this experience yet, and I have been in awe of it. But i'm really eager to finish and go look around at India! This has really been an other-worldly kind of experience.

2 comments:

  1. i love that you've started to write... look forward to the rest as it unfolds. it sounds wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks doll! I hope to get into the rhythym of writing more. How is life for you?? I"m inspired by your travel stories. Blessing from INdia! xo

    ReplyDelete